I just had a "woah" moment.
The API is now available for the Blockstream Satellite. See the documentation: https://blockstream.com/satellite-api-documentation/
We all know that the satellite will transmit the blockchain - but what about other data? Looks like you can transmit any file over their satellite!
The basic process:
- You submit a request to transmit.
- You receive a lightning invoice to pay based on the priority over the satellite communications channel for your transmission.
- You pay the invoice to get into queue.
- You can increase the payment to get higher priority
- The message is uploaded onto the satellite and transmitted
- Receivers can download your transmission
- Hey - it's encrypted so only your colleague on the other side of the world can read it.
This is basically a commercial satellite messaging service which is powered by bitcoin payments over LN.
The github page explains how you can build a receiving satellite dish to download the blockstream signal. This is amazing as it means that users can transmit information to an audience, or to anonymous receivers.
I can't wait to see what people create with this.